We came together through our extra curricular activities and now we’re interested in taking a road trip around the country, also known as the Best Summer Job in America. Below is the application we submitted.
1. Introduce your team with a short video (no more than two minutes in length). Whether you’re shooting your video from an iPhone or with an HD camera and a green screen, we want to get to know you and why you would be the best team for the tour.
2. How do you define free enterprise and why is it important to your team?
Free enterprise gives individuals the opportunity to utilize their skills and talents to develop ideas, products and services for the benefit of society. This idea is what we live for and entrepreneurship is how we develop it. We want to generate innovative ideas that positively impact the community and turn them into reality. We’re both engineers that love solving problems while developing a business model to fit alongside the solution. A free enterprise environment is what encourages us to think this way and we want to see and experience this environment all around the country. Our raw passion and motivation combined with our love of the free enterprise system gives us the ability to try, make mistakes, learn and succeed in our future business ventures.
3. Describe your team dynamic in a Tweet
4. If you could move anywhere in America for two years, where would you go and why?
Kansas City. Google’s Fiber Network, acting as a catalyst, is quickly turning the “Silicon Prairie” into a hotbed for startups. Moving here for two years will put us at the center of a growing entrepreneurial hub and provide us the opportunity to work alongside amazingly talented people. Due to the influx of companies setting up shop in the Hanover Heights area of Kansas City there are excellent opportunities and experiences around every corner. Not only is this area becoming an entrepreneurial hub but with Google Fiber debuting here, it has opened the door for Kansas City to become a center for technological developments. Both reasons have placed Kansas City on the map as an extremely enticing place for young entrepreneurs to spend two years and witness the beauty of free enterprise in the flesh.
5. Create a five-song playlist of your essential road trip music
Rihanna – Diamonds: one of our inside jokes because we love to “shine bright like a diamond.”
OneRepublic – Good Life: we’re grateful for all we’ve experienced throughout life and “we are young enough to say this has got to be the good life.”
Kanye West – Amazing: the people, places and things surrounding us are “so amazing” and we want to experience them and then share their stories along the way.
Outasight – Now or Never: there are many points along the journey of life where you have to say to yourself, now or never, and at this point we believe “with a whole lot of work we can make every one of these visions real.”
Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’: each evening we’ll be relying on each other and we won’t “stop believin” because we’ll “hold onto that feelin” of adventure that awaits us in the morning.
6. Your team is given the opportunity to interview Steve Forbes. What three questions would you ask him?
- What is your greatest failure and what was the most important thing you learned from it?
- Have you achieved your ultimate goal in life?
- Describe your favorite pair of shoes, why where they so meaningful to you?
7. Create a vanity license plate for the tour
8. Find a quote that reflects your team philosophy
“If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to build theirs.” – Tony Gaskins
On this road trip we look forward to meeting and interacting with people that have taken this quote and turned it into reality.
9. What do you think would be the best part of being a small business owner?
Owning a small business provides the chance to face and overcome challenges. The chance to make your own decisions. The chance to be held accountable. The chance to try your own ideas. The chance to be unconventional. The chance to serve and impact a large population. The chance to establish a close relationship with your customer. And the chance to be yourself. In our minds running a small business provides opportunities. These opportunities lead to growth. This growth causes positive change and having the ability to cause positive is the best part of being a small business owner.
10. Why do you want to take this road trip with your teammate?
We are passionate about new ideas, new places, new people, new adventures and new challenges. Our team is built from our similarities and our differences. We never settle, never slow down and never stop. We live based on the philosophy that life is about seizing opportunities and we know this road trip is an incredible opportunity. Overall, our will to excel, our ability to think outside of the box and our love of entrepreneurship are the reasons we’re excited to take this road trip while learning and teaching every step of the way.